Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Enjoyment of Beef Suya: Nigeria

Suya is an all time Nigerian favorite and it is gaining much popularity internationally, as was quite evident in one recent CNN documentary/report. Suya is so popular, you find a mai suya (suya vendor) on every street corner you turn in major Nigerian towns and cities!As we all know, quite simply, suya refers to any meat seasoned with the unique blend of traditional Nigerian spices and condiments, collectively called Yaji, and barbecued over hot smoky fire. Even though we are more familiar with the more popular beef suya, nowadays, there is chicken suya, fish suya and even veggie suya. Despite its popularity, suya has always been a snack food, something to eat on the side, (I know that sometimes it may be eaten with some soaked garri)... I find nothing wrong with this, I just got wondering whether truly, there can be a way that suya can be served as a main dish of sort....or maybe as a light lunch or dinner.

                            





1 comment:

  1. I love love love beef suya, it is one of my favorite food yet. I do believe it is a traditional food because i haven't been able to taste some made by African American. This food brings alot of people together. I remember over the summer, when i went out to parties and they ended, everyone at the lounge would go to a vendor to go eat suya collectively. It is truly a blessing to my african culture.

    ReplyDelete